Who are Alums?
Alums are considered to be participants involved in the summer programs at Camp Leelanau & Kohahna — former campers (over 18), counselor staff (current or past), Family Campers (over 18), and support staff (including parents who have supported cleaning, kitchen, maintenance, laundry, or office during the summer programming).
The next jubilant celebration will be over the 2023 Labor Day weekend honoring Camp Kohahna & Leelanau for Girls. With a progressive “join when you can” start, the “Weekend” begins on Tuesday and will keep building, as Alum gathers, towards a grand celebration on Sunday evening. No doubt it’ll be fun, adventurous, and certainly revitalizing as alums pay tribute to 100 extraordinary years of camping. Enroll today by filling out an application: https://leelanau-kohahna.org/summer-camps/session-information/
Please put it on your calendar (Google Invite, Outlook or iCalendar Invite), and share it with your camp friends, so you are all committed to returning together! Start now by being in touch with all your camp friends and be sure they know about it and get their questions answered.
Our camps’ history is rich in tradition – inspiring Council Fires, team competitions, and incredible trips, to name a few – as well as uplifting thought and sincere gratitude. Let us come together; all alums are welcome and encouraged to come and enjoy the camaraderie and acceptance we valued as campers, counselors, and summer program support. This is an opportunity to come together, have some fun reminiscing, and experience the freedom of being kids again.
Camp Leelanau for Boys had a wonderful week of festivities in 2021, and you can find the photos of the event here: https://campslk.smugmug.com/Alumni-Events/Leelanau-100th-Anniversary-Alumni-Reunion/
- August 29th – September 4th (Tues.-Mon.)
- Arrive @ 5:00pm on Tuesday, 8/29
- Featured Events: Hot Air Balloon Ride (tethered), Glen Lake Pontoon & Water Ski, & more…
- Depart @ 9:00am on Monday, 9/4
- August 30th – September 4th (Wed.-Mon.)
- Arrive @ 5:00pm on Wednesday, 8/30
- Featured Events: Canoeing/Hiking Trip (overnight or day-trip), Golfing* (Fri. AM)
- Depart @ 9:00am on Monday, 9/4
- September 1st – 4th (Fri.-Mon.)
- Arrive @ 5:00pm on Friday, 9/1
- Featured Events: Activities, Banquet, Council Fire, & more…
- Depart @ 9:00am on Monday, 9/4
*9-Hole Golfing session is available to participants who sign-up by May 15th; fees are the responsibility of the participants ($22/person + club/equipment rental) as determined by Dunes Golf Club.
Attendees (approx. years at camp), as of Mar. 2023
- Deb Munson Anderson (1970s-80s)
- Porge Davis Casey (1960-69)
- Rebecca Clark (1992-2000)
- Breanna Cooke (1991-2002)
- Debbie Heckel Crabtree (1971-76)
- Elise Epperson Crow (1995-2005)
- Diane Davis (1997-2007)
- Lisa Davis (1963-69)
- Jill Dawson (1996-2007)
- Joy Deal (1998-2007)
- Caitlyn Demaree (2007-2018)
- Kayle Williams DiCicco (1991-2008)
- Ruthie Cahan Dixon (1981-1984)
- Sophie Dixon (2005-15)
- Amy Hufstader Dmitzak (1961-68)
- Katie Duntley (1998-2017)
- Mindy Frantzen Feldheim (1993-95)
- Debbie Schaberg Foley (1971-82)
- Bailey Fuhrmann (2008-22)
- Meghan Vivian Furbush (2007-2012)
- Hilary Palanza Gutkin (1994-2004)
- Katie Hochstetler Hausfeld (1993-2000)
- Mary Jane Sweeney Hoff (1988-98)
- Marianna Hronek (2002, 19-23)
- Sarah Lowry Huckle (1995-2007)
- Marcia Schaberg Hufstader (1963-85)
- Candy Barsumian Jeltema (1963-70)
- Lisa Chamberlin Johnson (1977-99)
- Laura Ann Johnson (1995-2010)
- Jeanne Johnson (1983-91)
- Greta Johnson (2008-21)
- Krista Jurisich (1960-68)
- Jodie Windal Kennedy (1981-84)
- Heather Schaberg Keough (1989-2001)
- Susan Levy Ledbetter (1961-66)
- Lauren Littell (2002-15)
- Stephanie Rader Lovseth (1991-2004)
- Michelle McCurties (1994-2003)
- Jan McCurties (2001-05)
- Jane Levy McLane (1960’s)
- Liz McLane (1998-2010)
- Debbie Huelster Thompson McNeil (1971-78)
- Sarah Jane Ritter Miller (1984-2003)
- Caroline Morales (2007-2016)
- Marjorie Heckel Murphy (1973-90)
- Pamela Murphy (1974-84)
- Caitlin Cooke Nassar (1991-2001)
- Chris Haynes Negley (1950-57)
- Lydia Pierce (2016-21)
- Meghan Powell (1993-2000)
- Pippi Schroeder Rutledge (2009-23)
- Marina Schaberg (2000-16)
- Samantha Nichols Schaberg (2002-12)
- Terry Dail Schaberg (1981-82)
- Barbara Schultz (1960-71)
- Corrin Long Schulze (1970’s, 1986)
- Alice Sweeney Seay (1988-2000)
- Casey Busch Sinkus (1997-2012)
- Lydia Sinkus (1998-2012)
- Trelawny Buley Shepherd (1994-2008)
- Bonnie Sholeen (2006-14)
- Bethany Powell Springer (1999-2000)
- Alice Stanley Jr. (1999-2013)
- Brooke Savage Stenzler (1992-2002)
- Linda Walton Stevenson (1948-1954)
- Carole Griggs Stimson (1988-2002)
- Mary Heckel Thompson (1970-85)
- Susan Latham Timoner (1975-84)
- Whitney Walker (1997-2001)
- Lauren Warboy (1993-2002)
- Christina Skaggs Wilson (1995-2000)
Reunion – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where will I be staying during the reunion? We have several options for lodging here at camp – cabins, heated bunkhouses, and more. Please let us know if you have a personal need, and we will seek to accommodate you. There are accommodations available offsite if that is your preference – bear in mind that this is taking place over Labor Day weekend, and this is a bustling vacation area. Things do tend to fill up early and quickly.
- How much does the reunion weekend cost? The general breakdown is $100/day of participation; if anyone plans only to attend partial days, we will work with them on the appropriate cost. Camperships are available – Getting participants in Adult Programs is a priority, and finances should never be a reason for not participating. The Campership Fund for Christian Scientists at www.campershipfund.org is available for this event. If they cannot fully cover the need in your case, please apply to the Camps Leelanau & Kohahna Campership Program (Campership Application); we will work to fulfill any further requirements.
I plan to attend but not quite sure what my schedule will allow. How do I fill out the application when it asks for the session? We understand that your schedule can change until the very day you expect to arrive; it is helpful for us to know that we should be prepared for your attendance rather than the specific days you plan to be here. Go ahead and fill out the application for your best guess/hope, and we will worry about the specifics as the event gets closer.
The application appears to require payment. Do I need to send in a deposit? Nope, no need to pay us before you arrive. The system requires this language, so we cannot change that; however, we do recommend that you select “Cash or Check” at check-out, and that way, we can settle up when you arrive, and you will officially be signed up—no need to send us anything before then.
Who can attend the Centennial Celebration? This weekend is for anyone who has participated in the summer programming for Camp Kohahna & Camp Leelanau for Girls — former campers (over 18), counselor staff (current or past), Family Campers (over 18), and support staff (including parents who have supported cleaning, kitchen, maintenance, laundry, or office during the summer programming).
- How do I get to and from camp if I am planning to fly? We plan to coordinate trips to and from the Traverse City Airport (TVC), as needed. No need for you to rent a car to get to camp. For those that are looking to fly into Grand Rapids (GRR) or Detroit (DTW) we hope to assist in coordinating carpools with other alum that might be coming from that area – so early planning is appreciated!
I am no longer a Christian Scientist; is it still okay for me to attend the reunion? This is a celebration of Camp! There is no requirement to be a Christian Scientist or engage in any religious activities available during the reunion.
2023 KOHAHNA & LEELANAU FOR GIRLS Centennial Celebration
- Reunions. While there are Centennial Celebrations for both Camps, we would be happy to help you coordinate reunions for your CT class or camp friends!
- Council Fire. Remember for summer fun – Alumni are welcome at Council Fire each Sunday during the summer. Please contact Weldon or Pippi ahead of time to let him know you will be coming. Arrive at about 6:30, as the hike up starts at 6:45.
Let’s stay connected and maintain relationships to help support connections between Alumni all around the globe.
Please share your experience and photos with us!
Reach out to us at [email protected] or [email protected]
Host a gathering in your community!
Help find “lost” alums. Contact the office to see who we’re looking for and who we have found.