The Mission of Camps Leelanau and Kohahna is to provide exceptional camp
programs that cultivate Christian character and leadership qualities based on the
practical demonstration of Christian Science.
The Mission of the Leelanau Outdoor Center is to provide a transformative
experience that ignites growth in character and a lasting love of the outdoors.
Job Title: Development Director
The Development Director oversees and participates in all aspects of Development
for all of the Foundation’s programs. This is a year round salaried position that
includes raising funds for Campership, Special Projects, and Endowment. Patience,
understanding, flexibility, and creativity are essential qualities. This position
reports to the Operations Director and the Board of Trustees.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
1. Provide daily metaphysical support for the Camp Leelanau & Kohahna
Foundation, which include active participation in regularly scheduled
2. Maintain, expand, and update Camp’s fundraising database.
3. Identify avenues for recruiting funds for Tuition Assistance for LOC,
including writing grants as needed.
4. Track donations, report regularly to The Board, write Thank You notes in
response to each individual donation, and communicate often with Camp
Directors and Bookkeeper.
5. Travel to recruit Donors as needed.
6. Maintain an ongoing “wishlist” for physical plant, camps, and LOC.
7. Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Common Job Performance Responsibilities:
1. Leadership – Assume responsibility; lead by example; maintain a positive
attitude; motivate others; be flexible; overcome obstacles; identify
opportunities to improve; initiate assignments.
2. Communication- Communicate clearly, written and verbally; listen
attentively and be receptive to feedback; provide timely, appropriate and
candid feedback; prepare required paperwork.
3. Good Judgement (Wisdom) – Analyze and resolve problems; anticipate
challenges; assess objective and subjective hazards; make decisions
appropriate to situations.
4. Teamwork- Work cooperatively with others; build relationships and team
spirit; treat others with dignity and respect; compromise; address conflict
5. Self Development – Strive to improve performance; understand areas of
strength and areas for growth; desire and effort to enhance skills and develop
new skills; receive feedback.
6. Professionalism – Punctual with assignments and activities. Dress
appropriately for the role; represent LOC and Camp in a positive manner at
public and private events; place LOC and Camp program ahead of personal
needs; maintain confidentiality; avoid discussions of in-house matters with
parents, campers, or others. Utilize vacation and personal time
appropriately; be on time and maintain appropriate office hours.
7. Contribute and adhere to the mission, vision, and core values of the
organization through word and action on duty and off. “A Rule for Motives
and Acts” from the Manual of the Mother Church serves as a guideline.
Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree and two or more years of Development experience.
Proficiency in standard donor database programs, Microsoft Word, PC’s in general,
and touchtone phones required. Camp Leelanau & Kohahna and LOC, or other
Christian Science organization, experience preferred. Must submit to all required
state and accreditation criminal background and driving checks. Must possess a
valid driver’s license and be insurable by foundation insurance carrier.